Saddle Brook – Presidents Day Structure Fires

The Saddle Brook Fire Department had a busy President’s day weekend with 2 major house fires.

On February 19th, 2018, the fire department was dispatched for a report of a fire at 576 Spruce Avenue. As the companies were calling into service, police units on the scene reported the house was fully involved.With the chief still en route, he requested a 2nd alarm.

On arrival, the chief reported a 2-story home with the rear of the house engulfed in flames. As companies arrived, hand lines were quickly stretched into the home on both floors knocking down the fire; however, the fire had extended into the attic and burned through the roof, which partially collapsed. The main body of fire was knocked down in approximately 30 minutes and the fire was placed under control in just over an hour.

Firefighters were able to remove several dogs uninjured from the home and no injuries were reported.

Unconfirmed reports indicated that the fire started on the rear deck in the area of an outdoor propane heater and ironically, it was also reported that the family was not at home at the time of the fire, and were dropping of donations for the family of a home that had burned 2 days earlier.